Green smoothies can be a great way to increase your veggies. They make a great snack. Or add some protein to make a filling breakfast.
If you’re new to green smoothies, you might like to start off with more fruit. Kids might find them a bit too bitter to start off with if they are use to sweet-foods. You could always call it a “Shrek Smoothie” if that helps your kids to drink it! And definitely make sure that it’s nice and smooth with no lumpy bits.
If you want to use kale or silverbeet, be sure to steam it first to make it more digestible.
- 2 large handfuls spinach, washed
- 3 large lettuce leaves, washed
- Juice of lemon or lime
- 1 cup of filtered water
- 2 kiwi fruit
- ½ a cucumber, skin removed
- 1 large chunk of ginger (3cms)
- 1 stick of celery
- Half an avocado
- 1 banana, chopped
- Add spinach and lettuce to the blender with 1 cup of water
- Add the juice of one lemon or lime and blend well
- Peel the skin off the cucumber, ginger and kiwi fruit
- Add these to the blender with the avocado, celery and banana
- Blend on high speed until smooth