Asparagus and Golden Beetroot Salad
This beetroot salad is definitely one that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser and great to share as a side to baked ham or other cold meats. If you cook the beetroots ahead of time and store in the fridge, it's actually pretty quick to rustle up. If you're short on time you could always steam the beetroot but you miss out a little bit on their natural sweetness. If you can't get hold of golden beetroot or basil, the usual red beetroots and parsley work equally well. And you can switch the walnuts for cashews or pistachios if you prefer.
- 1 bunch asparagus halved
- 1 large handful each of basil and baby spinach
- 3 golden baby beetroots
- feta cheese
- small handful of walnuts
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- salt to taste
- Wrap the baby beetroots in baking paper/foil and bake in a hot oven (220C minimum) until tender (duration depends on the size of the beetroot).
- Lightly sauté the asparagus and chopped walnuts in a small amount of olive oil for a few minutes until the asparagus is tender.
- Arrange the basil and baby spinach in the bottom of a bowl and place the asparagus and nuts on top.
- When the beetroots are cooked, dice them and scatter on top of the asparagus.
- Crumble the feta cheese over the beetroot salad.
- Drizzle over the oil and vinegar and add salt to taste.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!